[ntp:questions] Re: how do i config/start ntp

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 19:47:27 UTC 2003

> i have downloaded the ntp version for windows and installed it. During
> installation i have defined 2 internet ntp-servers. now the ntp service
is
> running. But the time of my computer is still wrong. there are no errer
> messages in the eventlog. There were some messages after starting the
> service. but some hours later the time is still wron, and i cannot finde
new
> messages in the event log. How often will the time be updated? Where and
how
> can i config this?

One tool that may help is NTPQ.  At a command prompt, type ntpq -p and
paste the results here.  You should see the two servers you listed, with a
character at the start of each name. "*" means selected for syncing, and
"+" means good enough for syncing.  the other columns list the stratum,
time last polled etc.  See the documnetaion for full details.

What version of Windows are you running?  As there can be only one time
service, you may need to stop the W32Time service (and disable it from
starting).

You can check communication with your servers with a command like:

  ntpq -p <server-name>

Cheers,
David