[ntp:questions] Re: TSC feacture

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Sun Aug 31 00:10:05 UTC 2003

"Xuehuan Li" <libryant at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.20.1062119286.1841.questions at ntp.org...

> my ntpd runs on a PC104 CPU card. the CPU on the card is Cyric 486DX, and
> the kernel i compiled Do config as 486. but when i run the kernel on the
> card, it halted and printed
> kernel panic: kernel compiled for Pentium+, require TSC feature!
> does it mean the PPS patch can not run on the 486DX? BTW, in the kernel i
> patch another patch about the M-System's DOC driver(Disk On Chip).

    Without a TSC, you will get tremendously reduced accuracy. So much so
that there's no reason to run the PPS patch. Just run without the patch and
you'll get all the accuracy the hardware is capable of. You cannot build a
real stratum one time server with a CPU that does not have a TSC. If you're
operating on the 'net, I'd advise you to fudge your reference clock stratum
to 2 at most.

    DS