[ntp:questions] Re: Using NTPDC - keyid required

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at computer.org
Sun Dec 7 19:13:32 UTC 2003

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 18:37:57 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.not-this-bit> wrote:

>Many thanks for that.
>
>So I think that the answer to my question: "Can you use NTPDC without a
>key?" is simply: No, you can't.  That's what I was looking for.

If there is I haven't found it (and would be interested in finding out
how as well).

BTW: I've been toying with the idea to modify ntpd itself to
drop/re-add servers. The ntpdc method not only suffers from the keyid
problem, it is also more limited it what it can do (e.g. when you add
a server using ntpdc you cannot specify the many options that the
ntp.conf server keyword allows, such as mode, minpoll, prefer etc.).

I haven't yet looked at the source, but I have read in this group that
ntpd's start-up code works by spawning a non-configured copy of itself
which is in charge of doing clock-type things, whereas the parent
process then proceeds to parse the configuration file and reconfigures
the chilld process on the fly. I was hoping that this functionality
would be re-usable for user-initiated runtime reconfiguration as well.

Cheers, Jan