[ntp:questions] How to configure CE.Net's SNTP Client?

5thWheel nospam at nospam.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 14:08:54 UTC 2003

Has anyone any experience of this?

I've been trying to configure the SNTP client on CE.Net 4.2 by changing
the registry settings as defined in:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wceoak40/html/refsntpregistrysettings.asp

If I leave the settings at the defaults, I can see the service is running
as described in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wceserv/html/ceconusingservicesexefromcommandline.asp

but of course it doesn't do anything for me:)

I want it to connect to a locally networked machine at
192.168.1.242 which is a win2k machine whose W32Time service is acting as
a timeserver.  I have checked out the 192.168.1.242 machine out using
another win2k laptop and have been able to get the time from it ok.  Also
my ce.net machine can see the server's IP ok and connect to other stuff
just fine.  I also tried it with the win2k ntpd running instead of
W32Time, still no joy (and still got time fine from my laptop - with much
less lag:)

I'd assumed I'd just change the following CE.net registry settings in
project.reg:
set "Server" to "192.168.1.242"
set "Clientonly" to 1

(I can omit the ClientOnly and still get no joy either way)

It seems to accept these settings, but doesn't seem to synch on startup
(perhaps because it hasn't got a proper IP immediately from the
192.168.1.242 machine which is also my dhcp server?  It does get an IP
pretty quickly but not instanltly).  Certainly the clock in the bottom
right of the desktop screen doesn't change.

So I tried setting
"Recoveryrefresh" to 0x1388 (5 seconds)
and
"Refresh" to 0x493E0 (5 minutes)
However, it seems deeply unhappy with these values and won't start up at
all.

I have also tried writing code to
explicitly tell it to synch with my timeserver as described in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wceoak40/html/ceconusingsntpservice.asp
I've tried both "Sync" and "Set", no joy.

FYI we are using the following hardware:
http://www.milesie.co.uk/shop/asp/product1.asp?Product=369
with a "PDA-like" ce image (nothing fancy).