[ntp:questions] Re: Cryptography

wolfgang+gnus20031210T193408 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com wolfgang+gnus20031210T193408 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Thu Dec 11 03:38:43 UTC 2003

Dale Worley <worley at dragon.ariadne.com> writes:
> wolfgang+gnus20031210T064657 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com  (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) writes:
>> How about the signature having a serial number and the client
>> periodically checks with the stratum-1 to see what serial number it is
>> up to?
>
> Wouldn't that have scaling problems?

Well, I meant that mostly tongue in cheek.  After all if a client is
going to talk to the stratum 1's at all, it might as well ask "by the
way what time is it?"

On the other hand, spot-checking on the stratum-2's by asking the
stratum-1's to confirm the time only once in a great while could be an
order of magnitude lower load (or more if the information that the
stratum-2 appears truthful can be shared with a number of local
machines that all trust each other to be trustworthy.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.