[ntp:questions] Re: specifying key

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Dec 12 16:25:05 UTC 2003

Andrew <andrew at arda.homeunix.net> wrote in message news:<hr9Cb.10576$aF2.1175224 at news20.bellglobal.com>...
> Speaking of trusted keys, I have a question about the notrust access
> control option.
>
> This is the definition given by the man page for ntp.conf that is
> present on my FreeBSD 4.8 box.
>
> notrust
> Treat these hosts normally in other respects, but never use them as
> synchronization sources.
>
> And here is the definition given on the NTP web site in the Official
> Documentation.
>
> notrust
> Deny service unless the packet is cryptographically authenticated.
>
> I would like to know which definition is correct.
>
> Andrew

The documentation on the NTP Web site is accurate and kept uptodate
by Dave Mills. It is accurate for the currently available release - 4.2.0 -
of NTP. What is installed on your system is something you need to
determine. Either you installed it yourself and the documentation that
comes with that release is accurate as far as that release is concerned
or it's the one that FreeBSD shipped with the O/S and you need to find
out what release it was based on.

Danny