[ntp:questions] ntp only support sys_precision to microsecond?

Dongling Duan duan at cisco.com
Fri Dec 19 04:29:31 UTC 2003

HI,

   I try to understand the default_get_precision() in ntp_proto.c.

   It seems that we could only get microsecond precision since the
MINSTEP is 5 us. It means the best sys_precision we could get is -18,
even though getclock() could give us nanoseconds precision. In the
caculation, we just throw away the nanoseconds part and only keep to
miscroseconds part.

   Does that mean that ntp protocol only has miscroseconds accuracy?
Could somebody let me know the importance of the sys_precision variable?

Thanks
-dongling