[ntp:questions] Re: Lists of public NTP servers

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 08:03:12 UTC 2003

> Please visit the NTP TWiki (http://twiki.ntp.org) and click the
> 'Time Servers' link in the LHS column (or point your browser at
> http://twiki.ntp.org/servers/). You don't need to register to browse the
> Time Server lists.

I tried that - it took about 8 times longer for the page to appear than
for a regular page.  I almost thought it was broken.....

If you intend people to visit that page first, it should be first on the
list.  It would also be nicer if the colours were less garish.

> The point of using the TWiki to maintain the list is that it allows each
> Time Server Operator to "own" their list entries and maintain those
> entries themselves _if they wish to do so_. We would, of course, also
> accept submissions/corrections via e-mail.

Sounds like a good idea...

> You (and anyone else, for that matter) are welcome to suggest ways that
> we can improve the NTP.Servers Web and all the other community supported
> resouces on the NTP TWiki. You're also welcome to open a TWiki account
> and contribute directly.

I would love to contribute, but amongst the other things putting me off
are....

- I find the system too slow

- I thought that search engines did not query dynamically built pages, any
efforts would be hidden

- I checked out the NTP support section.  Instead of "how to get", "how to
install" and "how to configure" being near the start of the section, I was
put off by having "Authentication keys", "Reference clocks" and "How to
compile".  To me, this is the wrong emphasis.

- The NTP for Windows support section is mis-spelt

Cheers,
David