[ntp:questions] Re: Lists of public NTP servers

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Nov 6 22:45:07 UTC 2003

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<9xPpb.5771$fV3.43383943 at news-text.cableinet.net>...

> I refer to:
>
>   http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/NTPFourWindowsNTHints
>
> To gain greater acceptance by the Windows community, I feel the sections
> should be re-ordered, indeed, from queries on this newsgroup it seems to
> me that even in the Linux/Unix community there is an increasing desire for
> an install and go solution rather than "I want to compile it for myself".
> (Please be aware that although I am a Windows user, I did actually want to
> at least try compiling it myself).
>
> []
> > BTW: It's all a Work-In-Progress. You're welcome to join and help
>  improve
> > things. That's the whole point of using a TWiki.
>
> I hope I am helping to make improvements by having these topics aired in
> public _before_ any changes are made.
>

> > > - The NTP for Windows support section is mis-spelt
> >
> > No. It's not.
> >
> > The title of the material in that topic is "NTP 4.x for Windows NT"
> > which, for me, translates to a topic name (it's a WikiWord) of
> > NTPFourWindowsNTHints
> >
> > That's "NTP Four (for) Windows NT Hints"
>
> To me it rates with duudz and such similar spellings.  In any case,
> referring to Windows NT rather than Windows ties you down to a
> soon-to-be-unsupported version of the OS.  I prefer English to wiki words.

David is correct. I stopped calling it Windows NT some years ago and I use
the term Win32 to describe NT/2K/XP/2003, etc. Okay Windows 98, etc. is a
32-bit O/S but those are obsolete. I use the term Win9x (including SE and ME)
for those systems.

The winnt.html needs work. I did update it for this release but it really
needs a lot of reorganizing and I don't have the time right now.

Danny