[ntp:questions] Re: Clogging defense

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Sat Nov 8 02:35:10 UTC 2003

David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:
>USNO has installed the call-gap clogging defense feature in the latest
>NTPv4 on all their public servers and reports it works well. Busy server
>tick.usno.navy.mil has been victim of 2000-PPS attack by dirty rotten
>scoundrels, which was why the feature was turned up.

A slightly related question I have is, is there some documentation of the
amount of load (queries/second) that a standard ntpd box can handle?

Just wondering for things like pool.ntp.org how many (well behaved )
clients should be able to be handled by one fairly modern PC. I would
assume 10s of thousands at least but I can't see anything with actual
numbers after a quick search.

--
Simon J. Lyall | Very Busy | Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"Inside me Im Screaming, Nobody pays any attention."  |  eMT.

"We came to wreck everything and ruin your life, God sent us"