[ntp:questions] Re: Clogging defense

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Sat Nov 8 20:22:02 UTC 2003

>Just wondering for things like pool.ntp.org how many (well behaved )
>clients should be able to be handled by one fairly modern PC. I would
>assume 10s of thousands at least but I can't see anything with actual
>numbers after a quick search.

I don't think the normal load is all that interesting.

Even if the clients are well behaved, you have to consider what
happens when things go wrong.  Murphy will visit, just not as
regularly as St Nick.

For example, what happens if the network gets confused for a while,
or maybe the asymmetry of the traffic on a major link changes.
Or maybe a large power failure could trigger many systems restarting at
roughly the same time.