[ntp:questions] Re: inappropriate address for the fudge command

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu Nov 13 15:59:39 UTC 2003

"Steve Murtagh" <steve_murtagh at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:mailman.59.1068737231.1751.questions at ntp.org...
[...]
> As I have no external clock to sync against I am trying to set one of
> the boxes as the reference clock but I always get the same error
>
> 10.10.64.11 is inappropriate address for the fudge command, line ignored

> fudge  10.10.64.11 stratum 10

You don't fudge the server's stratum. You declare its internal clock
a reference clock, and fudge that.

Reference clocks have addresses 127.127.x.y. The x encodes the type
of clock, the y is simply a clock identifier.

server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

Reference clock type 1 is a computer's internal clock. It should be
used only if an NTP server should (continue to) serve time when it
(temporarily or permanently) has no real reference clock available,
and should always be fudged to high stratum.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink