[ntp:questions] Re: How to sync my Internet-PC via ntp?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.not-this-bit
Tue Nov 18 20:36:17 UTC 2003

"Manuel Reimer" <MReimer at despammed.com> wrote in message
news:bpdreo$1mg8rr$1 at ID-87373.news.uni-berlin.de...
> Hi,
>
> I want to use the ntpd-Service in Windows 2000. Everything I want to do
> is to synchronize the system-clock of my Internet-PC with a time-server.
> For security reasons I don't want to act as server. I simply want to be
> a client which asks for the time. I also don't want to use any
> remote-administration tools of ntpd.
>
> How do I have to create my ntp.conf to get an as secure as possible
> ntp-client?
>
> Thank you in advance

As a starting example, your file could be as simple as:

#
driftfile %windir%\ntp.drift        # path for drift file
#
server time.apple.com
#

I'll leave it to those more expert to add extra servers and the security
you want.  Be sure to disable the W32Time native time service.

Cheers,
David