[ntp:questions] Oncore refclock config for freebsd

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Nov 25 02:56:01 UTC 2003

I finally took the plunge and built up a box to run FreeBSD 4.9 as a
dedicated time server.  My goal is to ultimately feed it with GPS and WWVB
clocks.  I built ntp via the FreeBSD ports system.

At the moment I'm starting with an Oncore receiver, and am having some
config problems.  I suspect these may be due to my newbieness with FreeBSD;
I'm mainly a Linux guy.  As far as I can tell, the Oncore clock is compiled
into the system (and doing "strings /usr/sbin/ntpd | grep oncore" yields
lines relating to /etc/ntp.oncore and the two serial devices).

The symptom is that ntp runs fine when only using external servers.
However, when I try to start it with the Oncore refclock, I get this error
in the log:

	24 Nov 21:24:04 ntpd[251]: internal error: refclockio structure not found
	24 Nov 21:24:04 ntpd[251]: configuration of 127.127.30.0 failed

Here's what I did for configuration:

1.  Created symlinks /dev/oncore.pps.0 and /dev/oncore.serial.0, both
pointing to /dev/ttyd0 (which as near as I can figure out should be the
first serial port).  /dev/ttyd0 is owned by root.wheel and is crw for owner
only.

2.  Created /etc/ntp.conf:

	# /etc/ntp.conf, configuration for ntpd

	# ntpd will use syslog() if logfile is not defined
	logfile /var/log/ntpd

	driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
	statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

	statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
	filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
	filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
	filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

	enable kernel    # I tried both with and without this line; it made no
difference

	server 127.127.30.0 prefer

	server fluffles.febo.com
	server febo.com

3.  Created /etc/ntp.oncore:

	# ONCORE Data File.

	Mode  1
	LAT 39.713557
	LONG -84.17232
	HT 322.8829 M

	delay = 80 ns

	#I originally had these uncommented, but commented them to see if they
were the problem.  They weren't.
	#ASSERT
	#HARDPPS
	#MASK 10

So, what have I done wrong here?  Thanks for any help.

John Ackermann   N8UR
jra at febo.com