[ntp:questions] Re: Oncore refclock config for freebsd

Harlan Stenn stenn at maccarony.ntp.org
Tue Nov 25 03:42:54 UTC 2003

In article <mailman.0.1069728972.1757.questions at ntp.org>,
John Ackermann N8UR  <jra at febo.com> wrote:
>At the moment I'm starting with an Oncore receiver, and am having some
>config problems.  I suspect these may be due to my newbieness with FreeBSD;
>I'm mainly a Linux guy.  As far as I can tell, the Oncore clock is compiled
>into the system (and doing "strings /usr/sbin/ntpd | grep oncore" yields
>lines relating to /etc/ntp.oncore and the two serial devices).
>
>The symptom is that ntp runs fine when only using external servers.
>However, when I try to start it with the Oncore refclock, I get this error
>in the log:
>
>	24 Nov 21:24:04 ntpd[251]: internal error: refclockio structure not found
>	24 Nov 21:24:04 ntpd[251]: configuration of 127.127.30.0 failed

Well, I see that:

 include/ntp.h:#define REFCLK_ONCORE             30      /* Motorola UT Oncore GPS */

so this implies that your ntpd was not compiled with the ONCORE refclock.

The oncore driver compilation is system-dependent; if you go to
/usr/ports/net/ntp/work/whatever/config.h and look you should be able to
see if it was really compiled in or not.

I would be thrilled to receive bk patches that would let folks give
an option to ntpd that would "dump" the compilation configuration.