[ntp:questions] Re: Translation names to IP is not working

Dale Worley worley at dragon.ariadne.com
Thu Oct 9 14:02:24 UTC 2003

mayer at gis.net (Danny Mayer) writes:
> > The "server" configuration command works using DNS names.  But the
> > "restrict" command only supports a numeric IP address.  See the
> > accopt.htm page.
> >
> If that's true (and I haven't had a chance to look) it should be changed.
> the getnetnum() does take either so it should work. Check this again
> with 4.2.0 when it comes out (shortly).

There are a lot of complications, especially if the DNS name has
multiple addresses, since the 'restrict' may be using a different
address than the 'server'.

I would propose that we be able to attach 'restrict' modifications to
'server' and 'peer' directives.  The 'restrict' would implicitly
specify the address of the server (as it was looked up), and goes away
if the server is un-configured.

Dale