[ntp:questions] Re: NT binaries for ntp-4.2.0

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Sat Oct 18 11:22:52 UTC 2003

Maarten Wiltink wrote:

> "Danny Mayer" <mayer at gis.net> wrote in message
> news:3a2a0492.0310171056.283785fc at posting.google.com...
>
>>"Maarten Wiltink" <maarten at kittensandcats.net> wrote in message
>
> news:<3f8fc94d$0$58703$e4fe514c at news.xs4all.nl>...
>
>>>"Terje Mathisen" <terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com> wrote in message
>>>news:bmo5qe$qla$1 at osl016lin.hda.hydro.com...

>>>The loss of ntptrace seems a pity.
>

>>The C version was obsolete. You should use the Perl version. You can
>>get Perl for Windows from ActiveState. There were too many things that
>>would have to be fixed for ntptrace to make the effort worth while.
>>Also if you have the old one you can continue to use that it will still
>>work the way you expect.
>

> Why, it does. I had tried it just after restarting NTP and of course
> it said "stratum 16". My mind then convinced me all on its own that
> this was a bug I'd heard about here and that it got broken or something.
>
> Not sure if I'll ever get around to installing Perl, considering how
> I don't need it for _anything_ else. Yet.

Huh???

Not needing perl? :-)

Perl is the Basic of the decade, it is extremely useful and quite pragmatic.

You can write both very structured code in it, as well as ad hoc
oneliners that can do amazing stuff.

I.e. the 5-line script that implemented RSA encryption was printed on
T-Shirts, making those T-shirts at least for a time classified as
"Weapons of Mass Destruction".

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>