[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd looses sync, I must always restart: please help

Luca luca at pacor.de
Fri Oct 31 09:15:04 UTC 2003

Dale Worley <worley at dragon.ariadne.com> wrote in message news:<878yn2mksj.fsf at netnews.comcast.net>...

[ snip ]

> In the short run, the solution is to restart NTP once or twice a day.
> I *think* that once NTP gets a good value for the computer's clock
> drift, that restarting it daily will not degrade its accuracy much.
> But you should check with the experts on that.

this is what I do, but I was trying to find a more "elegant" way.
However, Thanks.

> > I also tried to set up many
> > servers and peers (I decided to be stratus 2, is that wrong?) because
> > I thought it depended on the servers, but that did not do either ...
>
> NTP examines the servers/peers that it has and selects one to
> synchronize to.  So if you have enough servers that NTP can always see
> one that is delivering quality time, that is enough.  Usually, three
> servers are adequate for all but the most paranoid applications.

I'll reduce the list ...

> > fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 2    # LCL is unsynchronized
>
> Don't put the local clock at stratum 2.  It is much better to use a
> high stratum, like 10, so that any NTP obtaining time from your NTP
> when it is synced to the local clock has an obviously high stratum.
>
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver1.html
>
>     *NEVER* configure this driver to operate at a stratum which might
>     possibly disrupt a client with access to a bona fide primary server
>
> I also see that the 127.127.1.x is listed twice:
>
>     server 127.127.1.0              # local clock (LCL)
>     # fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 10 # LCL is unsynchronized
>     fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 2    # LCL is unsynchronized
>
>     # The internal PC clock is peered to let it be set by the NTP daemon
>     peer  127.127.1.1
>
> There's no point doing that, and there is also no point marking it
> 'peer', since NTP can't give time *to* it.

Okay, I'll do that. I've read something about all these things
somewhere and since I am no ntp expert at all I just copied everything
the "ape-way" and that seems to have turned to a mistake if I read you
right ...
Just two questions:
1. would that mean that instead of

     server 127.127.1.0              # local clock (LCL)
     # fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 10 # LCL is unsynchronized
     fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 2    # LCL is unsynchronized

I should have ... what?

2. I have more Win clients that sometimes do not want to syncronize
because -they say- the statum of the server is small than the one of
the client! How can I get rid of this? Could it be enough to reboot
the clients?

Thanks
Luca