[ntp:questions] Re: where should we update sys_rootdispersion?

Dongling Duan duan at cisco.com
Mon Sep 8 19:18:44 UTC 2003

Thanks David for your explanation!

I have a script which has more than ten testcases using the topology I
describe in previous email. I test all kinds of configuration and
combination, server, peer, broadcast, with/without authentication etc.
For each test, I reset clock to a random time on all box to see whether
we are synced or not after some time. Some times offset could be very
very big. Once it is synched, we check whether each peer is reached via
peer->reach.

Could somehow ntpd internal state fall into some state (sys_jitter is
very big) because of all the configure/unconfigure, reset clock etc? So
the ntpd just need more time to be sane?

-dongling