[ntp:questions] Re: Where to obtain audioio.h

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Tue Sep 9 14:25:05 UTC 2003

"David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> wrote in message news:<3F5D4171.35874ECE at udel.edu>...
> I assume the patch went via bugs at ntp.org and was a rename for conflict.

I honestly don't know... I didn't create the patch, just discovered it
and most likely misunderstood it!

> Your suggestion using L/R channels for frequency switch is neat. It
> shouldn't be too hard to do. Put a zit in the qsy() routine and fiddle
> the audio parameters. Consider using TWO frequency agile receivers for
> diversity! The 100-Hz subcarrier demodulator is synchronous and should
> work well with two receivers and two antennas. Square-law combine
> (theoretically optimum). Wow, I'm getting carried away...

Yeah, it's easy to get carried away with this WWV stuff.  GPS-derived
time is just so easy in comparison that it isn't fun any more :-)

One difficulty for me is all the electrical noise in the computer room.
Isolation transformers and chokes take care of most of the worst stuff, but
not all of it (I think that capacitive coupling around the transformer is
what's killing me.)  At nighttime the atmospherics on 10MHz are
generally stronger than my filtered noise, but not so on 15 and 20MHz
where computer noise is stronger than the atmospherics.
And besides, my cheap isolation transformers are not the
best at 100Hz, most of them are only specced down to 300Hz and they have
a lot of loss at 100Hz.  Maybe I ought to try some sort of optical
isolation.

Tim.