[ntp:questions] Re: handling of falsetickers with dumb NTP clients

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Sep 10 01:55:05 UTC 2003

Danny,

I strongly agree and recall a meeting I was at with the root DNS server
operators in late 1999 where they were concerned that NTP during the
millennium roll might do extremely wicked things. They take time really
seriously for obvious reasons. I told them not to worry because NTP
doesn't know anything except the number of vague seconds since 1900.
Well, we're still heeeeere.

Well, they beat me up about the NTP roll in 2036. I told them not to
worry even then. See the backgrounder article about the NTP timescale
and era numbering on the NTP project page.

Dave