[ntp:questions] Re: Effect of Antenna Cable Delay

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 27 08:40:06 UTC 2003

> How much does the atmospheric delay change?  Is there any way to correct
for that?  (Say by using the outside temperature, or the time of day.)

Interestingly, GPS is now so well characterised that the attenuation and
delay of the signals as they pass through the atmosphere is used to
measure the density of various atmospheric substances.....

> How stable is the actual [geostationary] satellite orbital position?  I
think they wander around slightly.  Is that significant for accurate
timing?

Yes, they do wobble, but that wobble is very accurately known from radar
measurements, and publicly documented in "Kepler data".  I have a free
Windows program called WXtrack (URL below) which allows you to see this
wobble.

Cheers,
David
--
Quality software written to your requirements
Web:  http://www.satsignal.net
Email:  davidtaylor at writeme.com