[ntp:questions] Re: Locking memory in ntp

Nicholas Suan nsuan at nonexiste.net
Sun Sep 28 07:16:19 UTC 2003

hmurray at suespammers.org (Hal Murray) wrote in
news:vncsa32ln8552d at corp.supernews.com:

>>      ping -n -c 1 -q 123.123.123.001   (ping your gateway or similar)
>
> Pinging the gateway is a good first step, but that may not solve
> the problem if the NTP servers you want to talk to are on the other
> side of the gateway.

It shouldn't be a problem unless the NTP traffic through  the gateway takes
a different path than all the other traffic through the gateway. My border
router always has the MAC of its default gateway (in this case, the cable
company) cached.

> Burst mode sounds better and better.

If the gateway is under your control, wouldn't it just be easier to add a
static ARP entry?