[ntp:questions] Re: NTPv4 proposed specification available in any format?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Dec 13 04:31:25 UTC 2004

bobrbradley,

The SNTPv4 specification was submitted to the RFC editor in Postel ASCII
format, but has been caught in the general logjam at the editor's desk
for over a year. The NTP security document is available only in PDF and
not in Postel ASCII format and, as it has many equations and unASCIIable
content, I do not plan to produce an ASCII ripoff.

The recent BOF in Washington kicked off a IETF task force with product a
definitive NTPv4 specification. The briefings and flowcharts on the NTP
project page pretty much sum up the algorithmic refinements, but the
specification itself is some months away. By agreement with my sponsors,
what leaves my desk will be PDF, not Postel ASCII. I will leave that
conversion to others.

A detailed explanation and discussion on the algorithms is in a book
nearing completion. I am happy to have some chapters peer reviewed on an
individual basis, but pending publication I can't release the whole thing.

Dave