[ntp:questions] Is it possible to run NTP daemon on loopback interface ?

Aravind babu aravindforn at yahoo.co.in
Sat Dec 18 12:32:38 UTC 2004

Hi,

       Is it possible to run ntpd  on loopback interface ? Why i am asking this question is CISCO and Netscreen people r using loopback as souce address for NTP , SNMP , SYSLOG , RADIUS etc.

We are also planning to do that.I downloaded ntp latest one.But i am not able to change the ntpd to run on loopback.Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Aravind.

Aravind babu <aravindforn at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
HI,

Thanks for replies.Vaidotas why do u think it will not work with loopback?
What is the main file in ntp sources which will request the server for time synchronisation?

Thanks in advance,

Aravind.

"Vaidotas J."
wrote:
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:29:56 +0000 (GMT)
Aravind babu wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for your reply.Why i need loopback as source is " I have a security appliance(Firewall/VPN) .Suppose if the WAN mode is dial-up address will be changed dynamically.I want to remain my request to send from same ip .So i want to use loopback as source so that if WAN address changes also my request will go from same address."I think u got my point.
> So is there any facility in linux to configure loopback address as source for NTP client ? I checked the source code of NTP in linux.I am planning to change the source code.Is there any easy way to accomplish this?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Waiting for your reply,
> Aravind.
>
> David Woolley wrote:
> In article ,
> Aravind babu wrote:
>

> > Can we use loopback interface as source address of NTP client
> *** when talking with NTP server ?If yes how can we configure it?In
> *** which configuration file we have to change ?
>
> The literal answer is use "ntpdate -d 127.0.0.1" on the machine running
> the server and you will have an NTP client using the loopback address,
> as source address.
>
> However, I have to assume that the question was meant to be sensible, in
> which case you need to explain why you are trying to do something
> apparently silly, so that we can understand what you really want to do.
hi,

I know that people use loopback addresses on routers with dynamic routing protocols, to keep the peer IP address alive when interface flaps (consumes cpu calculating power and no flood to network about topology change) and for some other reasons (the loopback always stays alive and can be reached)... but i don't think that i'll work with ntpd ...

Best regards,
Vaidotas Januska
LitNET NOC
dtroit at ktu.lt