[ntp:questions] Re: minpoll and maxpoll

srui at fe.up.pt srui at fe.up.pt
Tue Dec 21 15:15:21 UTC 2004

Dear NTP mailing list users,

I am running a NTP server on an mobile network without regular Internet access
and I use a GPS (which is always available) to correct the system clock through
NTP. Sometimes the system has to be shutdown and the hardware clock just isn't
good enough to keep time between power cycles. In a normal situation with a big
clock skew the NTP daemon crashes, so I was told that using a low value for
minpoll would solve this and it would be the correct equivalent to a forced
initial correction. Is this true? What solutions do I have for this?

Sergio Rui Silva