[ntp:questions] Re: disciplining two clocks with the same ntpd?

Piotr Trojanek ptrojane at mion.elka.pw.edu.pl
Fri Jan 23 08:08:42 UTC 2004

On 2004-01-22, David Wuertele <dave-gnus at bfnet.com> wrote:
> If I want to discipline my board-level RTC chip (1-second resolution)
> using the Internet, and I want to discipline my system clock using the
> RTC chip, can I do it with the same ntpd process?  Any pointers on how
> to configure that?

You should discipline your system (software) clock with NTP, then store the
time into RTC once every few minutes (default 11 under Linux with PPSkit).

Please note, that any get/set time on RTC clock (x86):
a) wont give you more than 1-seond accuracy,
b) will have too huge jitter to make it useful.

--
Piotr Trojanek