[ntp:questions] Re: ntp? return value for use in scripts

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 06:09:27 UTC 2004

In article <m3hdyi5l8j.fsf at bfnet.com>,
David Wuertele <dave-gnus at bfnet.com> wrote:

> People's living rooms, possibly in a hot equipment rack.

My main concern about a mass market product like this would be making
sure that you always have permission to use the time servers.  Unless
the timeservers are your own, you should get written permission for
this sort of use.  If you want any guarantee of continuity of service
you will need an automated software update facility.  You should
probably not configure in any servers in the factory version of the
software, but add them to the installed units based on how they get
their internet connectivity.  If this is sold in some sort of
franchise arrangement with ISPs, the ISPs should provide the server
for the boxes that connect through them.

I didn't mention this before as I thought that this was not a product
but part of an organisation's infrastructure.