[ntp:questions] GPS signal quality

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut at wollmersdorfer.at
Wed Nov 10 18:32:30 UTC 2004

Today I tried two consumer level GPS mice in my location.
One is a Fortuna U2 and the other a Holux GM-210.
For convenience I used the demo software under WinXP.

There is not much free view to the sky. It took some hours, that three
satellite signals could be received. More than 80% of the time only one
or none is usable. Accuracy is poor as the satellites can only be
"viewed" in the north-east quarter.

Compared with the calculated coordinates from an 1:25000 map the
accuracy seems ~100 m, altitude from GPS is 229-265 m against 205 m.

Given this situation, would it be worth to try Oncore, or would it be
waste of time and money? For me GPS will only make sense if I can get
more accuracy than my well working DCF receivers provide.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer