[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd and ACTS

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de
Wed Nov 17 09:01:00 UTC 2004

Hi Walter,

If you are a bank and it may happen that you are going to use the NTP
time for some other things (besides bounding your colleagues to their
desks) like database replication, computer forensics and so on, you
should spend the money for an own stratum 1 reference time server. We
have a lot of customers in the financial sector and I can say that I
could not imagine a bank without its own time reference (how do you keep
your transactions in the correct order?).

Maybe you already have a reliable time source in your organisation?

A dedicated timeserver should be no problem for a bank (regarding the
costs), otherwise I would be really worried if I was you :-)

Kind regards,
Heiko