[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd and ACTS

You have no need to know anjahnoaoed at fl.net.invalid
Thu Nov 18 12:19:08 UTC 2004

Abandoning the right to remain silent, Heiko Gerstung at Wed, 17 Nov 2004
10:01:00 +0100 said:

> Hi Walter,
>
> If you are a bank and it may happen that you are going to use the NTP
> time for some other things (besides bounding your colleagues to their
> desks) like database replication, computer forensics and so on, you
> should spend the money for an own stratum 1 reference time server. We
> have a lot of customers in the financial sector and I can say that I
> could not imagine a bank without its own time reference (how do you keep
> your transactions in the correct order?).

And agreeing with interchange partners when transactions occurred.

The bank we provide services for has a GPS receiver attached to the DNS
server at each computer centre. These have rooftop antennas with 360
degree horizontal and 180 degree vertical visibility. They've been in use
for at least 6 years. They all peer with each other. At the time they were
considered expensive. They wouldn't be today.

Now if we could just convince Security to configure all the firewalls to
provide NTP service to systems inside the various DMZs we could match up
all the logs.

> Maybe you already have a reliable time source in your
organisation?

--
Avoid reality at all costs.
$email =~ s/n(.)a(.)n(.)a(.)e(.+)invalid/$1$2$3$4$5au/;