[ntp:questions] Re: Can you test my server please.

Folkert van Heusden folkert at vanheusden.com
Wed Nov 24 10:21:20 UTC 2004

>>  With KOD the client does get a response, and one that is formatted in
>> such a way as any passably functioning client will see the response
>> and decide to simply go away, as opposed to continuing to ask the
>> server for the time.
> 	Regretfully, there are plenty of misconfigured clients which seem
> to gleefully ignore KOD -- this is Netgear/UWisc all over again,
> although not on the same scale, at least not yet.  Give the Debian,
> NetBSD, and FreeBSD people half a chance, and we may be.
> 	So, the pool.ntp.org project needs another way to get these
> people to stop abusing the servers, and the method being proposed by
> Simon is that we give them an "obvious" bogus time reference, at
> which point they hopefully decide that we're not a good time server  for
> them and they go away.
> 	Having been on the timekeepers mailing list and seeing the
> traffic from the various pool member operators, I support the work
> Simon is doing in this area.  I wish there was a better answer, but  so
> far I haven't been able to think of one.  I've been fairly silent  on
> this topic so far because I haven't been able to propose a better
> solution to the problem.

What about adding some throtteling(?) code to the ntp-daemon which makes
it stop answering requests when more then x requests per y come in?
Shouldn't be too difficult to code I guess.

|UNIX admin? Then give MultiTail (http://vanheusden.com/multitail/)|
|a try, it brings monitoring logfiles to a different level! See    |
|http://vanheusden.com/multitail/features.html for a feature list. |