[ntp:questions] NTP and LAPTOPS ....Careful!

Parker Jones zoubidoo at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 24 16:17:27 UTC 2004

>From: Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>

>At 4:30 AM +1300 2004-11-25, Parker Jones wrote:
>
>>  A bit disappointed by ntp causing this mess.
>[snip]
>	It's basically a comedy of errors, starting with trying to run ntpd on a
>system where the CPU clock speed is not fixed to a given value.

I haven't rebooted again to check whether my laptop is varying processor
speed, but it's quite probable - so this explanation is plausible and fits
my observations.

I think a warning about laptops should be included in the FAQ(*), and it
would be a nice touch to have a  warning when the service is about to be
started for the first time.  Also, if the BIOS can be queried to established
whether processor speed is set to fixed or variable then this could be used
by ntp to block the service.

Anyway, it has been a lot of needless hassle.  Surely, there must be a whole
bunch of people who have been down this path before...?

PJ

* I searched for laptops in the FAQ but there is no mention in sections I
deemed relevant.