[ntp:questions] Re: ppstime.h missing on Debian?

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Thu Nov 25 12:27:35 UTC 2004

"Guess Next" <persevering_fury at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I realized that my ntp.conf file had some incorrect syntax so the above
> ouput is not useful. With an updated (but possible not correct) ntp.conf,

It would be useful if you posted your ntp.conf ...

> ntpq> peer
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> jitter
> ULINK_M320(0)   .WWVB.           0 l    -   64    0    0.000    0.000
> 4000.00
> ntpq> cl
> status=0101 clk_noreply, last_clk_noreply,
> device="Ultralink WWVB Receiver", timecode=, poll=25, noreply=20,
> badformat=0, baddata=0, fudgetime1=0.000, stratum=0, refid=WWVB,
> flags=0
>
> Looking at this output as well as debug output produced by ntpd -dd, it
> appears that the clock is not responding to requests for data. I double
> checked that the correct serial port was used by connecting to the clock
> with minicom. By entering 'T' in the minicom console, which sends a request
> to the Ultralink 325 for information, the expected data was displayed.

Have you set flag1 in ntp.conf?  "fudge 127.127.34.0 flag1 1"

Ah, one major point: ntp 4.2.0 doesn't have support for the 325!
Later versions do; you might want to try the latest stable development
version

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/ntp-stable-4.2.0a-20040617.tar.gz

or least pull ntpd/refclock_ulink.c out of it.

> In the ntpd debug output, note the "addto_syslog: configure: keyword "pps"
> unknown, line ignored" line. Is this a problem? I would think so.

I don't think you need that.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for