[ntp:questions] Re: [NTP QUESTION] is this configuration possible?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 25 16:48:40 UTC 2004

kalsae wrote:

>Hi everyone...
>
>I'll confige ntp server into isolated network.
>There is two SUN system. A system is ntp_a, B system is ntp_b.
>
>ntp_a will act ntp_b's NTP server, and ntp_b will act ntp_a's NTP server.
>is it possible?
>
>That configuration is...
>
>  ※ ntp_a's /etc/inet/ntp.conf
>       # @(#)ntp.server 1.4 97/05/05 SMI
>       #
>       # /etc/inet/ntp.server
>       #
>       # An example file that could be copied over to /etc/inet/ntp.conf and
>       # edited; it provides a configuration template for a server that
>       # listens to an external hardware clock, synchronizes the local clock,
>       # and announces itself on the NTP multicast net.
>       #
>
>       # This is the external clock device. The following devices are
>       # recognized by xntpd 3.4y:
>       #
>       # XType Device Name Description
>       # -------------------------------------------------------
>       # 1 (none) LOCAL Undisciplined Local Clock
>       # 2 trak GPS_TRAK TRAK 8820 GPS Receiver
>       # 3 pst WWV_PST PSTI/Traconex WWV/WWVH Receiver
>       # 4 wwvb WWVB_SPEC Spectracom WWVB Receiver
>       # 5 goes GPS_GOES_TRUE TrueTime GPS/GOES Receivers
>       # 6 irig IRIG_AUDIO IRIG Audio Decoder
>       # 7 chu CHU Scratchbuilt CHU Receiver
>       # 8 refclock- GENERIC Generic Reference Clock Driver
>       # 9 gps GPS_MX4200 Magnavox MX4200 GPS Receiver
>       # 10 gps GPS_AS2201 Austron 2201A GPS Receiver
>       # 11 omega OMEGA_TRUE TrueTime OM-DC OMEGA Receiver
>       # 12 tpro IRIG_TPRO KSI/Odetics TPRO/S IRIG Interface
>       # 13 leitch ATOM_LEITCH Leitch CSD 5300 Master Clock Controller
>       # 14 ees MSF_EES EES M201 MSF Receiver
>       # 15 gpstm GPS_TRUE TrueTime GPS/TM-TMD Receiver
>       # 17 datum GPS_DATUM Datum Precision Time System
>       # 18 acts NIST_ACTS NIST Automated Computer Time Service
>       # 19 heath WWV_HEATH Heath WWV/WWVH Receiver
>       # 20 nmea GPS_NMEA Generic NMEA GPS Receiver
>       # 22 pps ATOM_PPS PPS Clock Discipline
>       # 23 ptbacts PTB_ACTS PTB Automated Computer Time Service
>       #
>       # Some of the devices benefit from "fudge" factors. See the xntpd
>       # documentation.
>
>       # Either a peer or server. Replace "XType" with a value from the
>       # table above.
>       # server 127.127.XType.0 prefer
>       # fudge 127.127.XType.0 stratum 0
>       server 127.127.1.0
>       fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 3
>       peer ntp_b prefer
>
>       #broadcast 224.0.1.1 ttl 4
>
>       enable auth monitor
>       driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift
>       statsdir /var/ntp/ntpstats/
>       filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
>       filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
>       filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable
>
>       #keys /etc/inet/ntp.keys
>       #trustedkey 0
>       #requestkey 0
>       #controlkey 0
>

>  ※ ntp_b's /etc/inet/ntp.conf(another line is same with ntp_a)
> [...]
It's certainly possible to set it up that way.  It's unlikely that it
will work any better than the same two systems running without NTP.
It's highly probably that neither system will keep time as well as it
would have without NTP!

If the clocks on the two systems differ, it's not possible to determine
which one is closer to being correct!  They WILL differ!!!!!!

Don't waste your time.