[ntp:questions] How to use 'ntpq -g' in place of ntpdate?

W. D. NewsGroups at US-Webmasters.com
Wed Oct 6 17:55:44 UTC 2004

Can anyone tell me how to use 'ntpq -g' to replace ntpdate?

Does "ntpd -g" go in rc.conf?

Does it take the place of:

ntpdate_enable="YES"
ntpdate_program="/usr/local/bin/ntpdate"
ntpdate_flags="-bs server1.domain1.com server2.domain2.com
server3.domain3.com"

Or, does the '-g' get added into:
xntpd_flags="-A -c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -l
/var/log/ntpd.log"

to become:
xntpd_flags="-A -g -c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -l
/var/log/ntpd.log"

Obviously, I'd like to set the clock with brute force
on boot up just in case it's off by quite a bit.  Then
I would like it to quickly come into synch with the
time servers that I am polling, and finally maintain
accurate time on a continual basis.

I would certainly like to keep up to standards, but
ntpdate on boot up seems to be working OK.  What is
the proper way to replace it and maintain my other
objectives?

--
Start Here to Find It Fast!™ ->
http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/