[ntp:questions] Re: Newbie question - ntpd not answering requests

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Wed Oct 20 21:55:11 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-20, Laura <GeekGerl at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running NTP 4.2.0-r2 from ntp.org on a Gentoo linux box. My
> ntp.conf file is as follows:

<snip>

> restrict 10.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 notrust nomodify notrap

<snip>

> My server is syncing time with the pool.ntp.org server, but it won't
> answer ntp requests from my internal 10.0.0.0/8 network.

notrust tells ntpd to ignore that subnet unless the clients are using
cryptographic authentication. This is what is blocking your client
access and you must remove it.

If this ntpd is not accessible to the outside world you can greatly
simplify your ntp.conf:

driftfile       /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift

# Allow only time service by default
restrict default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery

# Allow full access from localhost
restrict 127.0.0.1

# Remote time servers (use 4 or more)
server pool.ntp.org iburst
server pool.ntp.org iburst
server pool.ntp.org iburst
server pool.ntp.org iburst
server pool.ntp.org iburst

You may wish to use pool servers which are located in your geographic
area. Please visit http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers
for the current list of pool zones.