[ntp:questions] New to NTP on Linux

dusty bin junkmail at mmscomms.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 25 12:53:50 UTC 2004

Presently running NTP on three W2K machines from 486 up to PII.
I want to add some refclocks using a) Garmin GPS25LVS and/or b)
Jonathan's MSF Rx.
Correct me if I am wrong, but this seems to imply running at least one
machine on Linux (of which my knowledge is minimal)...

After a fair bit of faffing about, I now have Gentoo booting to the
commandline - so what next (I can't believe it would be as simple as
just doing #emerge ntp, etc.)?

Q1. I realise that the Garmin isn't the best for the job, but it only
cost £11.50 - so it seemed worth a shot.  So, is the nanokernel patch
essential, or just 'nice-to-have' in order to have 1PPS?  Is it
irrelevant for a 486 installation?

Q2. Would I need to call up both PPS and NMEA refclocks to get the
Garmin going properly?

Q3. Does anyone know if the vanilla installation of NTP using #emerge
ntp will include the memory mapped reflock used by JB's clock?

Any other helpful advice before I plough on into the unknown?