[ntp:questions] Re: CTS, Serial Port, and a Sun v210

mike michael.no.spam.cook at wanadoo.fr
Sat Apr 2 21:04:03 UTC 2005

Stewart Pelegan wrote:
> I have a requirement to get Sun v210 system time updates via a serial
> port(either rs-232 or rs-422) from a Coded Time Source(CTS).  As a proof
> of concept, I was able to get a TrueTime Model XL-DC with GPS.  It has a 9
> pin serial port that's now connected to the v210's serial port and that's
> about all I know.  Can I just use a Solaris build of the xntp daemon and
> I'll get input from the serial port?  Do I need to do something with the
> ntp config file?  The salesman who lent me the TrueTime device knew of no
> software I could use.  I know very little about this, so any help in the
> right direction would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Stewart Pelegan
> Computer Sciences Corporation
> 301.921.3206
> Fax: 301.921.0985

> delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to
> bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit
> written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of
> e-mail for such purpose.

I don't have one of these so I can't give a definitive answer, but a
quick check shows you can get a manual from

http://www.symmetricom.com/media/pdf/manuals/xl-dc-manual.pdf
so you can configure it.

You get the time in a 60PPS asci coded string on the serial port by
default, with the start bit of the ending CR/LF sequence being sent on
the second mark from the GPS receiver. This is quoted as +- 1ms of the
GPS second.

I believe the NTP driver to use is type 5, so add the following to the
ntp.conf file. The Solaris xntpd standard distrib should support this.

   server 127.127.5.u   # where u is your serial interface device

you are going to have to create a device link , as the driver uses
  /dev/trueu. The driver uses 9600 baud, 8-bits, no parity comms so
you will probably have to set the XL-DC baud rate from the control panel.

Hope that points you in the right direction.