[ntp:questions] Re: CTS, Serial Port, and a Sun v210

Stewart Pelegan spelegan at csc.com
Tue Apr 5 12:54:13 UTC 2005

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  I'm getting closer but....

I was able to set the TrueTime box to 9600 bps, 8 data bits, and no
parity, but there was no mention of the stop bits.  What should they be
set to?

I manually set the time on the TrueTime box to a week from now, hoping
that once xntpd started, I'd see that everything was working properly.
Well, I didn't get any errors, but the system time didn't change.  After
reading some of the pages on the ntp sites, I'm thinking that maybe ntp
threw out the TrueTime number because it was so much different than the
current time.  Is there any way I can confirm this?  Is there any way I
can make ntp set the system time to whatever it reads from the serial
port, no matter how out of whack the numbers are?  I tried:

        server 127.127.5.0 true

and
        tinker panic 0

but that doesn't seem to work.

On the ntp web sites, I saw some stuff on how log files are formatted.
Here's what's in my clockstats file:

$ cat clockstats
53464 67990.348 127.127.5.0 root
53464 68955.399 127.127.5.0 ps -ef
53464 68969.801 127.127.5.0 ps
53464 73888.070 127.127.5.0 read

The first number is supposed to be a julian date.  When is the epoch day
for this julian date?

Also, is there any way I can confirm that data is being received on the
serial port?

Thanks.

Stewart Pelegan
Computer Sciences Corporation
301.921.3206
Fax: 301.921.0985

written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of
e-mail for such purpose.

mike <michael.no.spam.cook
@wanadoo.fr>
Sent by: questions-bounces