[ntp:questions] Re: NTP, Mac OS X & Cisco 837

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 11:57:30 UTC 2005

viz wrote:

>it act as a broadcast server for a Cisco 837 router running SNTP. Mac ver
>10.3.8; NTP ver 4.1.1, Cisco 837 ver 12.3(2)XC2
>
>Problem: Cannot get my Mac to synch with Sydney located timeservers
>130.155.98.13 or 130.155.98.1
>
>ntptrace
>localhost: stratum 16, offset 0.000070, synch distance 0.08113
>0.0.0.0:        *Not Synchronized*
>
>Cannot get my router to lock on at all and thinking that if I can get the
>Mac set up properly I can get the router to synch off that. Feasible?
>
>Couple of things:
>
>- I need a basic config manual suitable for a newbie ;) (not XNTP).
>
>- Need some hints on getting the router to synch with the Mac
>
>I understand that it is difficult to get the Mac to ignore the GUI config -
>any work-arounds?
>

>Any takers? :)
>
>/viz

I believe I recall reading that you can configure a Cisco router to use
NTP by telling it "
enable ntp <IP address of server>
"
I have never done this myself so proceed with caution.  It may also be
worth noting that many people feel that routers should devote their
resources to routing and not to keeping time.  Again, I have never been
responsible for a Cisco router and done know if this is a caution based
on experience or simply prejudice.