[ntp:questions] Re: NTP, Mac OS X & Cisco 837

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Wed Apr 13 08:51:50 UTC 2005

viz wrote:
[]
> Hmmm might have to use the Melbourne one... I thought that there were
> geographical (distance) issues with ntp servers? The longer the
> distance the less accuracy?
>
> /viz

The network distance may be more important than the physical distance.

I would avoid servers on a different continent (i.e. via a satellite link)
as I have seen a tendency for NTP to sometimes lock onto distant servers
rather than local ones, and the satellite link may include some asymmetry
of send and return paths (especially if one path is over a landline!).

Cheers,
David