[ntp:questions] Re: NTPD on Windows NT4

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung_removeme_ at meinberg.de
Tue Aug 16 15:16:17 UTC 2005

Hi Tom,

Tom Einertson wrote:
> "Anders" <anders.REMOVETHIS.r1f.ANDTHIS at tele2.se> wrote in message
> news:jj1Le.31378$d5.184610 at newsb.telia.net...
>
> [...]
> The thing that I find interesting is that the only server that shows up
> in the 'ntpq -p' output is the local clock.  The other servers you have
> defined in your config file aren't even listed.  Normally all servers
> that are defined in your ntp.conf show up when you do an 'ntpq -p',
> even if the are unreachable.  (They just show up with a reachability of
> 0.)  The fact that they are missing in the output suggests to me that
> something isn't working right when NTP is trying to read the
> configuration file.  Two possibilities come to mind.
> [...]
NTPD needs to identify the IP interface to be used for each configured
remote server. If it cannot find out which interface is supposed to
handle the connection to that server, it is dropped. A bug in ntp-dev
unfortunately prevents NTPD from being able to identify the interface on
  NT4 systems. This is true for all versions later than (at least)
4.2.0a at 1.1354-o , maybe even earlier versions are affected.  All those
versions cannot be used by Windows NT4 systems. You should see a "cannot
find suitable interface" error message in the debug output of NTPD.

> [...]
> Until you get those servers to show up in the list, I wouldn't worry
> about issues like firewalls or routing.
 > [...]

That's correct.

Kind regards,
Heiko

MEINBERG Radio Clocks
www.meinberg.de

IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.