[ntp:questions] NTP error/bug with MS's KB899588

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Aug 24 02:44:06 UTC 2005

derek.flake at bell.ca wrote:
> Hi,
>

> In the lab, I am running NTPD on a Windows 2003 server.  We just
> installed Microsoft's new security patch KB899588 for the Zotob virus.
> Although the effect wasn't immediate, this totally disabled the NTPD
> service, and also deleted the ntpd.exe file.
>

> We removed the patch and re-installed ntpd, and now everything is okay.
> I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same, and
> thought you guys should know.

It would be hard to know why it did that. You certainly should NOT
remove the patch. It should be possible to reinstall ntpd if necessary.
I just checked, I have that patch installed and ntpd is still running.
I'm running XP but it shouldn't matter. The only thing I can think of is
that I installed it with an installer that I have not yet made publicly
available and it installs it with limited privileges. If you used
instsrv to install it, that may make a difference but I don't know
enough to be able to tell.

Try reinstalling the patch and then install ntpd again.

Danny