[ntp:questions] Re: peer vs. server

CBee I.Dont at want.your.spam
Thu Aug 25 07:47:56 UTC 2005

Heiko Gerstung wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I recently had a few discussions about when to use a group of peering
> servers.
>
> Could you give me a few examples / ruleset when "peer" makes sense and
> when not.
>
> Any pointers to existing documentation is appreciated as well,
>
> kind regards,
> Heiko

As far as I know it is for ranking: A server should be better quality, a peer
can be equal quality.

Here we have the systems grouped: our inside time-servers use the outside
servers as server and each-other as peer. Then the other machines, they are
grouped and as such peer each-other (max 4 or 5 in a group) and the time-servers
as server.

CBee