[ntp:questions] Re: Using NTP with Trimble Acutime Synchronization Kit

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Dec 6 03:21:22 UTC 2005

John Kennedy wrote:
> After speaking with a Trimble Rep for quite some time, he assured me
> that using the Trimble conversion box (has 2 outputs port A = Passive,
> port B active) using Port A, we could essentially connect 3 PC's to it
> using a special cable that is basically a Y-cable. The rep said that
> Port A only sends a High/Low message out to the GPS antenna in order to
> stimulate the antenna to send back an NTP type message. The port B of
> the device is used for configuration and is meant to be truly
> bi-directional in nature. With respect to the driver for NTP, according
> to information on the NTP4.x for windows NT documentation from
> www.eecis.udeledu/~mills/ntp/html/build/hints/winnt.html website, the
> palisade gps driver is already built into the code. I have opened the
> code and can see the files for this driver in it, but I cannot get it
> to compile correctly. I am looking to some of the software engineers
> here for some help on this, but it doesn't look like its coming any
> time soon. Unfortunately the PC's are not connected to an Ethernet
> network in a way that we can send data. They are connected to the
> network, but do so over Vampire Ethernet Taps, which allow them to only
> see the data on the wire, and not to transmit.

John,

It turns out that although there is a specific refclock for the Trimble
clock on Windows, and separate code for it, it wasn't being built. I can
add it back in, but I can't tell you about how well it will work as I
don't think it's been maintained.

Does anyone else use Trimble on Windows?

Danny