[ntp:questions] Re: reasonable price for gps time source (Garmin GPS 17-HVS?)

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Thu Dec 15 09:05:33 UTC 2005

>The GPS-18 LVC works well (about $80) - it works with the NMEA driver
>and has a PPS output- I have mind on about 50' of cable on my roof -
>it might work indoors if your roof does not have metallic foil in the
>insulation (mine does).

Mine is indoors.  It mostly works but fades out occasionally.

It works a lot better up high.  I haven't moved it around much
to find the best location.

Looks like about 5% of the samples are bad.  I think rain/clouds
interfere but I don't have any data to back that up.  (I think
I have the raw data.  Might be fun to graph it and see if it
correlates with the weather.)