[ntp:questions] Re: First Galileo satellite launched

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Thu Dec 29 03:43:08 UTC 2005

Dave,

I had no agenda here. I was just pointing to the announcement. Galileo
will be a rival to US's GPS system. I am aware that military get much
higher accuracy and for that matter the manufacturers for military
versions of GPS charge a great deal of money for it. Think US Luxury car
pricing.

What Galileo will certainly do is push down pricing and increase
availability. I'm not sure how many non-military applications really
need 1-meter or better accuracy but presumably it will loosen the GPS
restrictions.

Danny