[ntp:questions] Re: How often should server hop happen?

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Wed Feb 2 09:48:17 UTC 2005

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at invalid.com> wrote in message
news:36bibhF50ii3kU1 at individual.net...

>I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string, but how often would
>you expect server change to happen?

    More than once a day is suspicious.

> I.e. an NTP client with say 5 servers in its list.  Would you expect it to
> change server serveral times an hour, several times a day or what?  I'm
> seeing several times an hour and wonder if I should put in a "prefer"
> qualifier to reduce this.  I appreciate it does no harm, but it does
> rather clutter the Windows event log!

    I would try to track down why it's changing servers so often. One
possible explanation is that network problems (or intermittent connectivity)
is causing it to lose sync, then it when it re-acquires sync it has no
special reason to prefer the server it was synched to awhile ago.

    Only if you know the problem is due to something that doesn't need to be
fixed would I look to using 'prefer' to make the issue go away. Generally
all the servers available should be equally good, and the server should
stick to one of them.

    DS