[ntp:questions] Re: How often should server hop happen?

Tom Smith smith at cag.lkg.hp.com
Wed Feb 2 14:33:22 UTC 2005

David J Taylor wrote:

> Thanks for that, David.  There are no loss of sync messages, simply
> "synchronised to <server-ip>" messages.  The reach is usually 377 when I
> check, and the poll interval 1024.  Network connectivity is normally
> 100% - I am on a cable modem connection.

Don't worry about it. It's normal if you have servers of nearly equal
quality. It's even a Good Thing. It just means that at any given time
all the stars line up to make one or the other the best choice. Adding
"prefer" more often than not just has the undesired effect of locking
you on to a poorer quality, even misbehaving, server.

-Tom